[openstack-dev] [kolla][tripleo] Deprecating config-internal

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Aug 7 15:17:58 UTC 2015

On 8/7/15, 8:08 AM, "Dan Prince" <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 14:21 +0000, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
>> James and Dan,
>>
>> During the ansible-multi spec process that James Slagle reviewed,
>> there was a serious commitment by the Kolla core team to maintain
>> config-internal, pretty much for the tripleo use case.  We didn¹t
>> want to leave our partner projects in the lurch and at the time
>> Ryan/Ian¹s implementation of tripleo containers were based upon
>> config-internal.  It would be immensely helpful for Kolla if we could
>> deprecate that model during l3, and I think Dan¹s judgement is to use
>> config-external (with some additional beefing up of some of the
>> containers like snmp+ceilometer compute plus possibly some other
>> minor solveable requirements).
>
>Correct. I'm heavily leaning towards using config-external assuming we
>can make it support use of multiple config files, and then have a way
>to tie that into starting the service with the same files (neutron ml2
>agent for example uses multiple configs)

Not sure if you missed my response to your earlier post about gaps in
kolla related to TripleO but we already have multiple file config feature.
 Its a a little clunky (our config-external script copies each file
individually into the container from the bindmount) but preserves
immutability which is criticial imo :)

A more detailed response is in my response to your other email regarding
Kolla.

>> Can I get a general ack from the tripleo community that deprecating
>> config-internal is a-ok so we can just remove it before being stuck
>> with it for Liberty?
>
>++ from me

Nice thanks!