[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] [aodh] upgrade path

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Aug 7 11:17:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, Julien Danjou wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07 2015, Chris Dent wrote:
>
>> If someone installs aodh on a machine that already has ceilometer on it
>> and turns off ceilometer-alarm-notifier and ceilometer-alarm-evaluator
>> (in favor of aodh-notifier and aodh-evaluator) will they be able to run
>> those aodh services against their existing ceilometer.conf files[2]?
>
> Yes, because none of the option has been changed, and those who have
> been changed have been deprecated, e.g. deprecated_group=foobar.

Excellent, glad to hear it.

>> What if they were, in ceilometer, using specific config for their
>> alarming database (alarm_connection). Can aodh "see" and use this
>> config option?
>
> That's the only option where maybe I cleaned-up a little bit too much as
> I think I remove the alarm_connection from Aodh. I'll cook a patch to
> fix that.

Glad we flushed that out[1].

> We could test that upgrade path using Grenade maybe?

Yes[2]. We'd have to instrument how wanted to manage both the
installation of aodh and the config, but one of the advantages of
having grenade as a plugin would be that we can do what we need to
do (to some extent).

> I hope I made things clearer!

Yes, thanks very much. IRC is dismal enough for reasoned discussion and
resolution but even worse for ensuring decisions have lasting and visible
effect.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210286/
[2] Assuming we can get the various pieces to fall into place so
     that we have working grenade plugins in all the right places.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent