[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] [aodh] upgrade path

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Aug 7 08:10:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 07 2015, Chris Dent wrote:

> If someone installs aodh on a machine that already has ceilometer on it
> and turns off ceilometer-alarm-notifier and ceilometer-alarm-evaluator
> (in favor of aodh-notifier and aodh-evaluator) will they be able to run
> those aodh services against their existing ceilometer.conf files[2]?

Yes, because none of the option has been changed, and those who have
been changed have been deprecated, e.g. deprecated_group=foobar.

> What if they were, in ceilometer, using specific config for their
> alarming database (alarm_connection). Can aodh "see" and use this
> config option?

That's the only option where maybe I cleaned-up a little bit too much as
I think I remove the alarm_connection from Aodh. I'll cook a patch to
fix that.

> Or will they need to copy and modify the existing conf files to allow
> them to carry on using their existing database config?

Well ultimately as soon as they start using aodh, they could copy
ceilometer.conf, remove what's ceilometer only related and voilà. That
can be achieved by comparing with the default aodh.conf I guess.

We could test that upgrade path using Grenade maybe?

I hope I made things clearer!

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker