[openstack-dev] [Security] Would people see a value in the cve-check-tool? (Reshetova, Elena)

Reshetova, Elena elena.reshetova at intel.com
Wed Aug 5 16:08:16 UTC 2015

> The only concern that I have is the requisite database.  Downloading a
500MB + CVE database for the jobs could become painful.  We could either
keep the CVE database on each node in the test pool or download it at the
start of each cve-check job.  I¹d >be curious what the infra wizards have to
say.

Actually the database is downloaded only once ( thefirst time) and then only
database diffs are downloaded, which is much faster. I don't know enough
about your node setup (do you fully clean up each node between the builds?)
and etc., so the best way to test this would be if somebody can try it out
and tell if it is a problem. If it is a problem, then we can discuss with
the tool maintainer on how to address it.

>I¹d also really like to see what the baseline results look like.  If you
run it against current global requirements does it find legitimate issues?
Does it find false positives.  In any case it seems worth exploring as
vulnerabilities in upstream dependencies are a >key weakness in our current
system.

I have so far only run the tool against this file:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.
txt and it didn't find any issues in it, given that the version there is
taken as minimal supported version.  I am myself not actually working in the
OpenStack project (so please excuse my ignorance on some even basic
matters), but I am actually a bit confused why this file for example called
"upper-constraints"? The name would indicate an upper border, but that
doesn't make that much sense with packaging systems.

If you can point me to a full set of files that should be analyser with
cve-check-tool, I can do the runs and post results here.

Best Regards,
Elena.