[openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 5 14:30:05 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-05 15:48:52 +0200 (+0200), Philipp Marek wrote:
[...]
> How many cluster stack alternatives can you see in SUSE?
> How many cluster stack alternatives are available in _every_ major
> distribution?

I think it depends a lot on how you define "cluster stack" and
whether the solution to the current dilemma needs one (for example,
if the answer is simply a DLM then several examples have already
surfaced elsewhere in this thread and the cross-project subthread).

> Popularity _alone_ is not the sole criteria, right.
>
> But to write something new just because of "NIH" is the wrong
> approach, IMO.

I couldn't agree more. If the need is already met by an available
solution which can be reused, that seems better for everyone. I just
get concerned when I see messages which state there is only one
technology choice and that choice is <insert product my employer
makes money selling/supporting>. Acknowledging alternatives makes
for a much less fanatical discussion.
--
Jeremy Stanley