[openstack-dev] [pbr] [stable] [infra] How to generate .Z version increments on stable/liberty commits

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 14:14:32 UTC 2015

It actual does: auto-tagged commit means it passed our CI hence
project "stands behind it".
PBR-generated Z-version could be just local change which has never
seen any CI yet.

> Using pbr to generate versions avoids that problem, but introduces the
> challenge of not being able to necessarily figure out which commit
> corresponds to a given version number from the outside. Say I want to
> check out version 11.0.80 for some reason (maybe .81 has a bug I don't
> want to deploy). How do I do that without a tag?

That also, PBR-generated version is not universally reproducible.

So what about making auto-tagging on stable branches optional for projects:
by default if project has a stable branch(es) they will get
auto-tagging but project could also opt-out and push X.Y.Z tags
themselves, via the same release process like Oslo and clients.

Cheers,
Alan