[openstack-dev] Hyper-V 2008 R2 support

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Tue Aug 4 15:28:59 UTC 2015

> On 04 Aug 2015, at 17:56, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 02:34:19PM +0000, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Just a quick note on the Windows editions support matrix updates for the Nova
>> Hyper-V driver and Neutron networking-hyperv ML2 agent:
>>
>> We are planning to drop legacy Windows Server / Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 support
>> starting with Liberty.
>>
>> Windows Server / Hyper-V Server 2012 and above will continue to be supported.
>
> What do you mean precisely by drop support here ?  Are you merely no longer
> testing it, or is Nova actually broken with Hyper-V 2k8 R2  in Liberty ?
>
> Generally if we intend to drop a hypervisor platform we'd expect to have a
> deprecation period for 1 cycle where Nova would print out a warning message
> on startup to alert administrators if using the platform that is intended
> to be dropped. This gives them time to plan a move to a newer platform
> before we drop the support.

The plan is to move the Hyper-V specific code to a new Oslo project during the
early M cycle and as part of the move the 2008 R2 specific code will be dropped.
This refers to the OS specific interaction layer (the *utils modules)
which are mostly shared across multiple projects (nova, cinder,
networking-hyperv, ceilometer, etc).

Contextually the corresponding code will be proposed for removal in Nova,
replacing it with the new oslo dependency.

The 2008 R2 code will still be available in Liberty, although untested.
A deprecation warning can surely be added to the logs.

Alessandro