[openstack-dev] Hyper-V 2008 R2 support

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 14:56:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 02:34:19PM +0000, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a quick note on the Windows editions support matrix updates for the Nova
> Hyper-V driver and Neutron networking-hyperv ML2 agent:
>
> We are planning to drop legacy Windows Server / Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 support
> starting with Liberty.
>
> Windows Server / Hyper-V Server 2012 and above will continue to be supported.

What do you mean precisely by drop support here ?  Are you merely no longer
testing it, or is Nova actually broken with Hyper-V 2k8 R2  in Liberty ?

Generally if we intend to drop a hypervisor platform we'd expect to have a
deprecation period for 1 cycle where Nova would print out a warning message
on startup to alert administrators if using the platform that is intended
to be dropped. This gives them time to plan a move to a newer platform
before we drop the support.

Regards,
Daniel