[openstack-dev] [nova] [FFE] Feature Freeze Exception Request for 'Volume Snapshot Improvements'

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:12:25 UTC 2015

Hello Nova cores,

    I would like to request feature freeze exception for the volume
snapshot improvements
blueprint [1]

    This bp was proposed in Juno, but could not be implemented then, hence
was pushed to Liberty, and the patches [2] for the same have been on review
for the last 2+ months and are in good shape AFAICT.

    This helps improve the support for online volume snapshots (CInder <-->
Nova flows) and will be useful for anyone in Cinder that use hypervisor
assisted snapshots. Eg: Glusterfs, NFS, Scality et.al. I didn't agree to it
being 'low' priority, but didn't debate against it as I was already in
implementation phase and didn't knew that 'low' would matter! Lesson learnt
for me :)

    This patch is pre-req for the Cinder side of volume snapshot
improvements (BP @ [3], patches @ [4]) which is 'Medium' Priority and the
cinder side of patches are in reasonable shape too. I have been working on
all the review comments there on a timely basis and I hope to get the
CInder side of things merged in Liberty as well, which won't be possible if
Nova patches aren't in :(( since Nova is a dep for Cinder patches.

    Worst case, even if Cinder patches are not merged, Nova patches are
written with Cinder backward compability in mind, so Nova should work
seamlessly with old Cinder.

    Thus i request the Nova cores to grant me FFE. Thanks in advance.

thanx,
deepak

[1]:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/volume-snapshot-improvements