[openstack-dev] [pbr] [stable] [infra] How to generate .Z version increments on stable/liberty commits

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 3 18:06:54 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2015-08-03 18:11:53 +0200:
> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2015-08-03 14:46:51 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > [...]
> >> In order to make this work, it looks like we'd require:
> >>
> >> * pbr changes so that it supports a mode where every commit on the
> >> branch increments .Z
> >>
> >> * infra changes to automatically push the corresponding tag when the
> >> commit is merged
> > [...]
> >
> > Note that these were alternatives: _either_ we need PBR to treat
> > commits as patch version increments (instead of as dev version
> > increments), _or_ we'd need a mechanism to automatically tag each
> > commit so that PBR will see the appropriate versions.
>
> I could see an implementation where we do both, though: PBR could
> idempotently yield the right version number, but we would still tag it
> in the repo for easier reference when looking at the git repository ?

We could do that. I had been thinking of just baking this into pbr,
but now that you point out the need for referring to version tags
from outside the repo, I wonder if Ian isn't right that a job to
just generate the tags would be simpler to manage. If we build it
to submit a proposal to the releases repo at the same time, we would
get the history tracking, too.

Doug