[openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com Arkady_Kanevsky at DELL.com
Mon Aug 3 13:26:07 UTC 2015

Agree with Thierry.
Let's define requirements.
We are trying to solve HA not scale "infinitely" number of cinder instances running.
Thanks,
Arkady

-----Original Message-----
From: Gorka Eguileor [mailto:geguileo at redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 3:44 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 10:22:42AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > [...]
> > So, to summarize, I love the effort behind this. But, as others have
> > mentioned, I'd like us to take a step back, run this accross teams
> > and come up with an opinonated solution that would work for everyone.
> >
> > Starting this discussion now would allow us to prepare enough
> > material to reach an agreement in Tokyo and work on a single
> > solution for Mikata. This sounds like a good topic for a cross-project session.
>
> +1
>
> The last thing we want is to rush a solution that would only solve a
> particular project use case. Personally I'd like us to pick the
> simplest solution that can solve most of the use cases. Each of the
> solutions bring something to the table -- Zookeeper is mature, Consul
> is featureful, etcd is lean and simple... Let's not dive into the best
> solution but clearly define the problem space first.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

I don't see those as different solutions from the point of view of
Cinder, they are different implementations to the same solution case,
using a DLM to lock resources.

We keep circling back to the fancy names like moths to a flame, when we
are still discussing whether we need or want a DLM for the solution. I
think we should stop doing that, we need to decide on the solution from
an abstract point of view (like you say, define the problem space) and
not get caught up on discussions of which one of those is best. If we
end up deciding to use a DLM, which is unlikely, then we can look into
available drivers in Tooz and if we are not convinced with the ones we
have (Redis, ZooKeeper, etc.) then we discuss which one we should be
using instead and just add it to Tooz.

Cheers,
Gorka.