[openstack-dev] [pbr] [stable] [infra] How to generate .Z version increments on stable/liberty commits

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Aug 3 12:46:51 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

A month ago the stable branch team decided to move away from
synchronized stable point releases and enable continuous stable branch
delivery instead.

The end goal is that every commit on a stable branch for a "service"
project will get a .Z version increment, and a tag be pushed to match.
So we'll have for example Nova 12.0.0 at Liberty release, and each
stable branch commit will result in 12.0.1, 12.0.2... versions.

In order to make this work, it looks like we'd require:

* pbr changes so that it supports a mode where every commit on the
branch increments .Z

* infra changes to automatically push the corresponding tag when the
commit is merged

To give you an idea, if we enabled that for Kilo we'd be at Nova 11.0.80
(kilo) and Nova 10.0.218 (juno).

We'd need to enable those changes after final release for
stable/liberty, which means we'd need to get the tooling right before
October 15.

If we can't figure out a way to make this work (or we decide it was
actually insane), the backup plan is to move to each project releasing
stable branch versions from time to time by manually requesting a
12.0.1, 12.0.2... tag when they feel like it. The benefit of this
approach is that it matches what we do for libraries. The drawback is
that it requires project teams to pay more attention to stable branches.

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)