[openstack-dev] [Cinder] A possible solution for HA Active-Active

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Sun Aug 2 06:09:58 UTC 2015

Daniel Comnea wrote:
>  From Operators point of view i'd love to see less technology
> proliferation in OpenStack, if you wear the developer hat please don't
> be selfish, take into account the others :)
>
> ZK is a robust technology but hey is a beast like Rabbit, there is a lot
> to massage and over 2 data centers ZK is not very efficient.

Very much understand the operator view here, IMHO in its current state
according to http://gorka.eguileor.com/a-cinder-road-to-activeactive-ha/
I'd say the operators of cinder in are a much worse boat right now, and
adding a robust technology in that could help the current state doesn't
exactly seem that bad.

IMHO if you are planning to (or are) running a cloud you are likely
going to have to be running zookeeper or similar service soon if you
aren't already anyway; because most cloudy projects already depend on
such services (for service discovery, configuration
discovery/management, DLM locking, fault detection, leader election...)

As for the 2 data centers, afaik the following is making this better:

https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperObservers.html