[openstack-dev] [Elections] TC Election analysis

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:00:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com>
wrote:

> On 04/30/15 21:48, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>> As others have done for past elections, here is a brief breakdown of the
>> TC election ballot data.
>>
>> analysis: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213831
>> source code: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213830
>>
>> Some highlights are:
>>
>> * 3 people voted but ranked everyone as #19
>> * 16% of the ballots voted for 3 or fewer candidates
>> * Theirry and Jay did much better then everyone else.
>> * Most winning candidates were ranked #19 over 1/3 of the time.
>> * No one voted for only James while 6 people only voted for Flavio (min
>> and max)
>>

>>  Thanks Joe for the analysis. It is quite interesting. Another thing that
> I find interesting is the low participation rate.
>
> Out of 2169 eligible voters, 548 participated - that is 25.26%.

According to [0] there were 369 ”Regular” contributors in 2014, and in Kilo
there were only 748 contributors with 5 or more patches out of the 1886
contributors [1]. So measuring participation from eligible votes is a
misleading. Well over half of the eligible voters have only contributed a
few patches, and we had more voters participate then we have 'regular'
contributors.  So I think our turnout is actually really good.

[0] https://www.openstack.org/assets/reports/osf-annual-report-2014.pdf
[1] http://stackalytics.com/?release=kilo&metric=commits