[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Apr 30 19:38:36 UTC 2015

On 04/30/2015 08:06 PM, John Dickinson wrote:

>> On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/30/2015 12:40 PM, John Dickinson wrote:
>>> Swift is a scalable and durable storage engine for storing
>>> unstructured data. It's been proven time and time again in
>>> production in clusters all over the world.
>>>
>>> We in the Swift developer community are constantly looking for
>>> ways to improve the codebase and deliver a better quality
>>> codebase to users everywhere. During the past year, the
>>> Rackspace Cloud Files team has been exploring the idea of
>>> reimplementing parts of Swift in Go. Yesterday, they released
>>> some of this code, called "hummingbird", for the first time.
>>> It's been proposed to a "feature/hummingbird" branch in Swift's
>>> source repo.
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/178851
>>>
>>> I am very excited about this work being in the greater
>>> OpenStack Swift developer community. If you look at the patch
>>> above, you'll see that there are various parts of Swift
>>> reimplemented in Go. During the next six months (i.e. before
>>> Tokyo), I would like us to answer this question:
>>>
>>> What advantages does a compiled-language object server bring,
>>> and do they outweigh the costs of using a different language?
>>>
>>> Of course, there are a ton of things we need to explore on this
>>>  topic, but I'm happy that we'll be doing it in the context of
>>> the open community instead of behind closed doors. We will
>>> have a fishbowl session in Vancouver on this topic. I'm
>>> looking forward to the discussion.

I'm excited to see where this discussion goes.

If we decide that a portion of swift being in Go (or C++ or Rust or
nim) is a good idea, (just as we've decided that devstack being in
shell and portions of horizon and tuskar being in Javascript is a good
idea) I'd like to caution people from thinking that must necessarily
mean that our general policy of "python" is dead. The stance has
always been "python unless there is a compelling reason otherwise". It
sounds like there may be a compelling reason otherwise here.

Also:

http://mcfunley.com/choose-boring-technology

>> Awesome discussion topic. I've long argued that OpenStack should
>> be the API, not the implementation,

I have and continue to disagree...

>> to allow for experimentation in other languages such as Golang.

As John points out more politely below, OpenStack can experiment with
language without turning ourselves into a feckless standards body.

> Just a small clarification on the words here: this isn't a
> "re-implementation of Swift". This is part of Swift. It is code
> that is proposed to and managed by the governance structures set up
> by OpenStack and the OpenStack Swift community, therefore it is
> "Swift".
>
> The important part is that this is done in the open. That's why
> I'm happy it's been proposed upstream.

++

>> Kudos to the Rackspace Cloud Files team for this effort. I'll
>> definitely dig into the code.

This I agree with. :)