[openstack-dev] [QA][Glance][Heat][Cinder] Removing the CLI tests from Tempest

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Apr 30 16:28:15 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

At the beginning of the cycle I said by the end of the cycle I wanted to remove
all the python-*client CLI tests from tempest since they really weren't in the
scope of the project and the framework for cli testing was the first thing
included in tempest-lib. [1]

Additionally a couple months ago we pushed out instructions to the ML on how to
do the migration. [2] With these posted most projects quickly pushed out changes
to migrate the CLI tests out of tempest and into the client repos.

We're now at the end of the cycle and there are 3 clients that still have CLI
tests in tempest. I have pushed the patch up to remove all these tests here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/178757/

Normally I like to wait until equivalent coverage is setup before doing a,
removal. But, in this case it's clear that functionally testing the clients
doesn't seem to be a priority for the remaining clients. Removing the tests
from tempest will have several benefits besides improved run time, it also
greatly simplifies the requirements list for tempest, because the clients pull
in a pretty big set of dependencies. Just installing the clients adds ~2 min to
each venv creation, which because of our current use of tox can happen multiple
times during a dsvm job that runs tempest.

So at the end of next week we're going to push that patch through. If the
remaining clients want to setup up functional test jobs to fill the coverage
gap the steps are the same and the tempest tests are still in the git history.

Thanks,

Matt Treinish

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-October/048089.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/056916.html