[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 30 07:15:18 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Anyway, I find it curious that the TC is elected by those within the
>> developer community but TC candidates talk about representing the operator
>> community who are not allowed to vote. Operators meaning Admins,
>> Architects, etc. It sounds like this is something most TC candidates want
>> which most would agree is a good thing. At least I think so. ; )
>
> I'm going to nitpick on terminology a bit. The TC is elected by
> *technical contributors*, not developers, as described in the charter:
> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/charter.html#voters-for-tc-seats-atc

+1

I think there is a key misconception in this thread that the TC is
supposed to represent (or talk about representing) more than just the
technical contributors that produce OpenStack.

When the OpenStack Foundation was set up, three bodies of governance
were established:

- the Board of Directors (representing the community as a whole)
- the Technical Committee (representing technical contributors)
- the User Committee (representing users and ops of OpenStack)

The Technical Committee mandate is therefore not to represent the users
and Ops of OpenStack in that setup, it's the role of the User committee.
If we did include Ops, we would be clearly overstepping our mandate.

Rather than asking that Ops should be able to elect the TC, you should
probably start discussing how to improve on the User committee election
process and visibility.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)