[openstack-dev] [Neutron] A big tent home for Neutron backend code

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:43:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/29/2015 01:25 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:
>> My take on the “where does it fit” yardstick:
>>
>> Does it stand on its own and add value? Then consider it a standalone
>> project, *or* part of neutron if you and neutron agree that it fits.
>>
>> Does it *require* neutron to be useful? Then consider having it under
>> the neutron umbrella/stadium/tent/yurt.
>
> ...arena/coliseum/dome...
>
> That's a nice summary.  Thanks.  :-)
>
> --
> Russell Bryant

By this definition, nearly all standalone SDN controller would not be
classified as neutron tent (including OVN by its design doc), because
they are not born for neutron at all. It seems that the only exception
is ofagent.

While most hardware MD can be treated as under neutron tent, for they
just do one thing: driver hardware on behalf on neutron.