[openstack-dev] [all][stable] managing library requirements in stable/kilo it was worth its own thread.

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Apr 29 16:21:54 UTC 2015

tl;dr: Please do not approve any requirements changes to libraries in
stable branches.

We're in the process of figuring out how we want to deal with the
caps.  Adding caps to the requirements of libraries introduces
challenges, so we're considering removing those and having applications
cap all of their transitive dependencies. We need more time to think
about it, and we're going to have a summit session in a couple of
weeks, so we're not going to land patches now that we might have
to undo later on.  We also want to be mindful that changing the
requirements of the library may involve breaking semver if we release
a new stable version, and we only want to do that once per library
if we do it at all.

Doug