[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Rabbitmq 3.4.0 upgrade for the 6.1 release, is it worth it?

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 29 08:04:59 UTC 2015

Hello.

There are several concerns why we have to upgrade RabbitMQ to 3.4.0 [0]:
1) At least two bugfixes related to the current high-load issue with MQ [1]:
- 26404 prevent queue synchronisation from hanging if there is a very
short partition just as it starts (since 3.1.0)
- 26368 prevent autoheal from hanging when loser shuts down before the
winner  learns it is the winner (since 3.1.0)
2) We should as well check how the new 'pause-if-all-down' option works
for split brain recovery.
3) We should address the 'force_boot' recommendations from this mail
thread [2] to speed up the MQ cluster assemble time.

The question is - is it worth it to do this in the 6.1 release scope?
I vote to postpone this for the 7.0 dev cycle as the impact of such
changes might be unpredictable.

[0] https://www.rabbitmq.com/release-notes/README-3.4.0.txt
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1447619
[2]