[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Nova] [Cinder] [tc] Should Openstack project maintained by core team keep only API/DB in the future?

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 01:16:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The concern is that having broken drivers out there that claim to work with
> an OpenStack project end up making the project look bad. It's similar to a
> first time Linux user experiencing frequent kernel panics because they are
> using hardware with terrible drivers. They aren't going to recognize the
> distinction and will just assume the project is bad.

I think the focal point is not about device driver for the "real"
backend such as OVS/LB or HW TOR, but ML2 vs. external SDN controllers
which are also claimed to be backends by some people.

Again analogy with Linux, which has socket layer exposing the API,
common tcp/ip stack and common netdev & skbuff, and each NIC has its
own device driver (real backend). While it make sense to discuss
whether those backend device driver should be splitted out of tree,
there was no consideration that the common middle stacks should be
splitted for "equal footing" with some other external implementations.

Things are slimiar with Nova & Cinder. we may have all kinds of virt
driver and volume driver, but only one common scheduling &
compute/volume manager implementation. For Neutron it is necessary to
support hundreds of real backends, but does it really benefit
customers to equal footing the ML2 with a bunch of other external SDN
controllers?

Best Regards