[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Nova] [Cinder] [tc] Should Openstack project maintained by core team keep only API/DB in the future?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:14:06 UTC 2015

On 24 April 2015 at 12:06, loy wolfe <loywolfe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Background summary:
> All in-tree implementation would be splitted from Openstack
> networking, leaving Neutron as a naked "API/DB" platform, with a list
> of out-tree implementation git repos, which are not maintained by core
> team any more, but may be given a nominal "big tent" under the
> Openstack umbrella.

>From a Cinder prospective, I think that doing this to the Cinder codebase
at this stage would signal the beginning of a rapid death spiral for the
project. We've already got issues with consistency of implementation and
the fact that some things just plain down work on some drivers/backends.
Third party CI took massive effort but should allow us to focus on some of
those things and clean them up.

If we required third party CI to pass for every core patch when the drivers
are all in separate trees with their open code merging strategy/team, then
progress would quickly slow to a halt due to the time and effort it takes
to get a change into every driver, not to forget the effort required to
make every change back compatible with the old and new driver since they
aren't released in perfect lock-step any more.

If we allow third party CI to fail and wait for vendors to fix their stuff,
experience has shown that they won't, and there'll be broken or barely
functional drivers out there, and no easy way for the community to exert
pressure to fix them up.

Either of these is a death-knell for Cinder.

I don't follow Neutron closely enough that I can comment on how this
might/might not affect them.

--
Duncan Thomas