[openstack-dev] [pbr] support for 'python setup.py install'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Apr 25 19:11:20 UTC 2015

On 26 April 2015 at 01:49, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2015-04-25 12:12:15 +1200 (+1200), Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]
>> I'd like to make that a little more official:
>>  - put it in our docs
>>  - stop testing python setup.py install.
> [...]
>
> And emit a clear error message? (Even if that just means updating the
> setup.py boilerplate in the cookiecutter repo and encouraging
> projects to adopt the function.)

No. Sadly python setup.py install *with deps already present* is
something that many install tools - e.g. buildout is a not-uncommon
one - other than pip use (and as mentioned later in this thread, pip
itself uses setup.py install when the wheel dep is not present).

Testing that it works with no deps installed is testing easy_install,
which we don't care about.

Forcing it not to work doesn't buy us anything except knowing that our
tooling will blow up hard if easy_install is ever triggered.

I guess if we take a truely minimal view on this it might be ok. I'll
update my review of the patch with that.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist