[openstack-dev] [Nova] Add config option for real deletes instead of soft-deletes

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 22:02:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Artom Lifshitz <alifshit at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to gauge acceptance of introducing a feature that would give
> operators
> a config option to perform real database deletes instead of soft deletes.
>
> There's definitely a need for *something* that cleans up the database.
> There
> have been a few attempts at a DB purge engine [1][2][3][4][5], and
> archiving to
> shadow tables has been merged [6] (though that currently has some issues
> [7]).
>
> DB archiving notwithstanding, the general response to operators when they
> mention the database becoming too big seems to be "DIY cleanup."
>
> I would like to propose a different approach: add a config option that
> turns
> soft-deletes into real deletes, and start telling operators "if you turn
> this
> on, it's DIY backups."
>
> Would something like that be acceptable and feasible? I'm ready to put in
> the
> work to implement this, however searching the mailing list indicates that
> it
> would be somewhere between non trivial and impossible [8]. Before I start,
> would like some confidence that it's closer to the former than the latter
> :)

Acceptable as a deployer option: Yes
Feasible for all tables: Maybe.  The first steps would be:

1) Make a list of all the times we read soft deleted data and note which
tables they impact.
2) Determine if making soft delete optional on the tables impacted by
read_deleted=True, is useful. If so that would be a an easy win.
3) Figure out how to remove the read_deleted=True where used.