[openstack-dev] [oslo] Deprecation path?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Apr 24 19:49:09 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Julien Danjou's message of 2015-04-24 21:06:47 +0200:
> Hi Oslo team!
>
> So what's your deprecation path?
>
> I sent a patch for oslo.utils¹ using debtcollector, our new fancy
> deprecation tool, and I got a -2 stating that there's no way we
> deprecate something being used, and that we need to remove usage from
> the projects first.

The issue with simply using debtcollector to signal the deprecation is
that it emits warnings in logs, which most of the developers don't see
until we have too many warnings and the logs cause issues with the gate.

We're past the point where we can assume most OpenStack developers
are aware of Oslo changes, or plans, or intent. We need to be doing
more advertising of major work, including deprecations.  I don't
expect you to do all of the advertising or updates to other projects
yourself, that's why we have liaisons in the first place.

This mailing list thread is a good start on announcing a deprecation,
and I would like to see a couple of liaisons sign up to help with
updates before we go ahead with the implementation.

Doug