[openstack-dev] [oslo] Deprecation path?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Apr 24 19:06:47 UTC 2015

Hi Oslo team!

So what's your deprecation path?

I sent a patch for oslo.utils¹ using debtcollector, our new fancy
deprecation tool, and I got a -2 stating that there's no way we
deprecate something being used, and that we need to remove usage from
the projects first.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I accepted the challenge
anyway. I started by writing only patches for Nova² and Cinder³, and now I
see people complaining that my patch can't be merged because the
function is not deprecated in Oslo.

So before I start flipping tables, what do we do?

¹  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/148500/

²  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/164753/

³  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/165798/

--