[openstack-dev] Please stop reviewing code while asking questions

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 13:13:43 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 07:21, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> Julien,
>
> We had a similar discussion within Trove several months ago and agreed to a convention that if you have a question, that should not warrant a -1 unless, as you indicate there's a strong reason to believe that the code is wrong and the question is leading.

+1. I'm kind of shocked that this even needed to be discussed, but well
done :)

> We discussed this at a mid-cycle and agreed to put our conventions in CONTRIBUTING.rst[1].
>
> We had a hypothesis about why +0 was rarely used (never conclusively proved). Our hypothesis was that since Stackalytics didn't count +0's it led to an increased propensity to -1 something. It would be wonderful if we could try the experiment of giving credit for 0's and seeing if it changes behavior.

IIRC the problem here is the Gerrit API - it doesn't count +0 as a
'review', so they just don't show up in any automated tools. (This isn't
easily solved either, even assuming you're willing to modify Gerrit.)

There's nothing quite so antisocial as obstructing someone else's work
to juice your own stats, and it's good to (gently) remind everyone of
that occasionally.

> It may be relevant to note that one of the recent candidates for TC also cited the possibility that a change in stackalytics was a causal factor in the change in behavior re: commits and reviews[2].
>
> Maybe this is something that the new TC candidates can opine on; are these kinds of metrics driving bad behavior and if so what, if anything, can the TC do about it?

Individualised closed-loop metrics *always* drive bad behaviour, because
they're necessarily only a sample of the behaviour we care about and to
the extent that sample is representative of the whole, it can only
remain so in the open-loop case. So we can, and should, tweak metrics to
reduce bad behaviour and encourage good behaviour, but we shouldn't kid
ourselves that we can eliminate unintended consequences - we can only
exchange them for _different_ unintended consequences.

This is an open community, so we can't (and shouldn't want to) prevent
people from publishing stats. The best case is that we use them only to
inform us how we're doing in the aggregate, and discourage companies in
particular from attaching individual incentives to game the metrics.
Members of the TC, at least, (I don't know that there was ever an
official edict or anything) have expressed this in the past, and I think
it's one of those things that requires vigilance and periodic reminders.

cheers,
Zane.