[openstack-dev] Please stop reviewing code while asking questions

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Apr 24 13:26:09 UTC 2015

On 24 April 2015 at 14:11, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/24/2015 07:21 AM, Amrith Kumar wrote:
> > We had a hypothesis about why +0 was rarely used (never conclusively
> > proved). Our hypothesis was that since Stackalytics didn't count +0's
> > it led to an increased propensity to -1 something. It would be
> > wonderful if we could try the experiment of giving credit for 0's and
> > seeing if it changes behavior.
>
> I think this makes a lot of sense.  These stats really do drive
> behavior.  I'd certainly be open to a patch to reviewstats [1] to count
> +0 comments and I think it would be good for stackalytics to consider
> the same.
>
> [1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/reviewstats

Frankly I think that it is an annoying behaviour to set a score so that
your act of asking a question or nit-picking a patch gets counted.
Even if internally in project teams we do count these stats, rest assured
that we also verify the quality that lies between those numbers.
A contributor who does proof-reading of 600 commit messages a month surely
won't be promoted to any core team.

If you think it might be beneficial to adjust tooling to that these
"contributions" get counted this is fine by me. I just wanted to point out
that I do not consider those contributions at all (and btw it would be at
least more polite to put a +1 rather than a -1).
It is my opinion that the kind of negative scores pointed out by Ihar and
Julien should just be ignored. As a core reviewer for Openstack/Neutron
I've been actually doing so for a while - I hope now I won't be accused of
being community un-friendly ;)

Salvatore