[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Nova] [Cinder] [tc] Should Openstack project maintained by core team keep only API/DB in the future?

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Fri Apr 24 13:13:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 4:06 AM, loy wolfe <loywolfe at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's already away from the original thread, so I start this new one,
> also with some extra tag because I think it touch some corss-project
> area.
>
> Original discuss and reference:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/062384.html
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176501/1/specs/liberty/reference-split.rst
>
> Background summary:
> All in-tree implementation would be splitted from Openstack
> networking, leaving Neutron as a naked "API/DB" platform, with a list
> of out-tree implementation git repos, which are not maintained by core
> team any more, but may be given a nominal "big tent" under the
> Openstack umbrella.

I'm not sure what led you to this discussion, but it's patently incorrect.
We're going to split the in-tree reference implementation into a separate
git repository. I have not said anything about the current core revewier
team not being responsible for that. It's natural to evolve to a core
reviewer team which cares deeply about that, vs. those who care deeply
about the DB/API layer. This is exactly what happened when we split out the
advanced services.

> Motivation: a) Smaller core team only focus on the in-tree API/DB
> definition, released from concrete controlling function
> implementation; b) If there is official implementation inside Neutron,
> 3rd external SDN controller would face the competition.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's exactly what cloud operators want the
> Openstack to deliver. Do they want a off-the-shelf package, or just a
> framework and have to take the responsibility of integrating with
> other external controlling projects? A analogy with Linux that only
> kernel without any device driver has no use at all.

We're still going to deliver ML2+OVS/LB+[DHCP, L3, metadata] agents for
Liberty. I'm not sure where your incorrect assumption on what we're going
to deliver is coming from.

> There are already many debates about nova-network to Neutron parity.
> If largely used OVS and LB driver is out of tree and has to be
> integrated separately by customers, how do those they migrate from
> nova network? Standalone SDN controller has steep learning curve, and
> a lot of users don't care which one is better of ODL vs. OpenContrail
> to be integrated, they just want Openstack package easy to go by
> default in tree implementation,  and are ready to drive all kinds of
> opensource or commercial backends.

Do you realize that ML2 is plus the L2 agent is an SDN controller already?