[openstack-dev] [nova][python-novaclient] microversion implementation on client side

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 03:56:11 UTC 2015

Thanks Andrey for hard work on the microverison client support.

Wrote down some my thought:

I also agreed we will have only one endpoint 'compute'. Hope we can switch
v2.1 export as '/v2' in the api-paste.conf as default very soon~

let's say what expected after we only have v2.1 in the world first:

There are two cases for use nova client.
1. user use nova client command line. I think command line should support
version discover. Provide most convenient way let the user try nova.
2. user use nova client as library. user should call the client code to
discover the version and decided what version he want to use by himself.

For the command line, the behavior can be:

When user execute cmd without --os-compute-version. The nova client should
discover the nova server supported version. Then cmd choice the latest
version supported both by client and server. This is good for us to
introduce the new feature to the user.

Also user can specified a version he want to by --os-compute-version.

'--os-compute-version=None' can be supported, that means will return the
min version of server supported.

The supported version can be discovered by version API (Thanks to Ken'ichi
fix this):
GET '/'
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/doc/api_samples/versions/versions-get-resp.json#L25

But reality is the v2 and v2.1 will existed at same time.

So the v2 or v2.1 code both can run under the endpoint 'compute' with url
'/v2'. It depend on the admin's deployment.

So I think the cmd also can discover whether the api supported microversion
under the 'compute' endpoint.

This can be discovered by version api also.

GET '/v2/' will return the endpoint version info. Then we can check the
version and min_version properties to know whether the api support
microversion or not.

The behavior can be:
1. If the microversion supported, the cmd behavior is same as the
description at the top of this mail
2. If the microversion non-supported, user call cmd without
--os-compute-version, we use the min version.
3. if the microversion non-supported, but user call cmd with
--os-compute-version, this should return failed.

Hope those thoughts are helpful.

Looks like this need some change in current patchset also :( I know Andrey
already pay lot of on this. But if we like this way, I also can give some
help on the coding :)

Thanks
Alex