[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Thu Apr 23 22:31:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 04/10/2015 09:41 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Victor Stinner wrote:
>>
>>> I fixed 4 issues with monkey-patching in Python 3 (importlib, os.open(),
>>> threading.RLock, threading.Thread). Good news: the just released eventlet
>>> 0.17.3 includes these fixes and it is now fully compatible with Python 3!
>>> For example, the Oslo Messaging test suite now pass with this eventlet
>>> version! Currently, eventlet is disabled in Oslo Messaging on Python 3
>>> (eventlet tests are skipped).
>>>

>> Great news ! That makes the "port to Python 3" question independent of
>> the "Moving off eventlet" question, which should facilitate immediate
>> progress on the former.
>>
>> On the latter, do you plan to file a Concurrency models cross-project
>> session ? That sounds like a good topic to discuss face to face...
>>
>> See
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/061070.html
>> for
>> details on how to file there.
>>

> Also, on the Python 3 topic, there's still a big issue with memcached
> (aka: python-memcache). It's blocking me from adding Python3 support to
> keystoneclient, and as a consequence, to almost all of OpenStack.
>
> BTW, the Eventlet module for 0.17.3 is available from here:
>
> http://kilo-jessie.pkgs.mirantis.com/debian/pool/jessie-kilo-backports-nochange/main/p/python-eventlet/
>
> and I will upload this to Experimental as soon as Jessie is released
> (that's in 3 days now...).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

The part of keystoneclient that uses the memcached client was deprecated in
Juno (as it was moved to the keystonemiddleware repo), so I think we can
remove it now. You might want to patch it out of your keystoneclient
package if you know everything's using the auth_token middleware from
keystonemiddleware.

- Brant