[openstack-dev] [Neutron] A big tent home for Neutron backend code

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:02:33 UTC 2015

On 23 April 2015 at 01:49, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Armando M. wrote:
> > Is it sensible to assume that Stackforge is going away entirely at some
> > point in the future, and we'll have a single namespace - OpenStack?
>
> The key difference between Stackforge and OpenStack is governance. Any
> project can be in Stackforge. Projects that are considered "OpenStack"
> projects are special in two ways:
>
> 1- They need to fit the "OpenStack" requirements as defined by the TC
> 2- They need to place themselves under the oversight of the TC
>
> In return, they get voting rights to elect the TC itself.
>
> While most projects in Stackforge actually fit (1) and accept (2), not
> all of them do. It's also not a decision that can be made for them (due
> to (2)), so we can't just migrate them.
>
> > It's my understanding that StackForge projects are bound to the same
> > governance model, or am I mistaken?
>
> Of course they aren't. They don't sign up for anything, and our
> governance model has no sort of control over them.

I have always considered StackForge projects (the vast majority anyway)
projects that have the ultimate desire to be an integral part of the
OpenStack ecosystem, and as such would need to follow the same model of the
other openstack projects (at least before the latest governance changes).
This is what I meant 'by bound to the same governance model', ie. besides
the legalities, following the same rules as any other OpenStack project,
but I can see I may have generated confusion with my point.

Thierry, thanks for the clarification.