[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 14:24:06 UTC 2015

> Also, on the Python 3 topic, there's still a big issue with memcached
> (aka: python-memcache).

Oh, thanks Thomas for the reminder. I just sent a pull request to port python-memcached to Python 3:

   https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/pull/67

I don't understand. I saw a lot of "Port to Python 3" fixes merged in 2014, and these changes are now part of the release 1.54. Problem: running python-memcached tests with tox fail on obvious Python 3 errors. Anyway, all tests now pass with my pull request. The good news is that python-memcached looks to be actively developed.

Julien Danjou ported pymemcache to Python 3, another memcached client. He suggests to use this one instead of python-memcached client.

> It's blocking me from adding Python3 support to
> keystoneclient, and as a consequence, to almost all of OpenStack.

python-keystoneclient announces a full Python 3 support with a voting Python 3 gate. I just checked locally, "tox -e py34" pass.

The problem is that python-memcached miss in test dependencies and so middleware tests using memcache are never run!

Victor