[openstack-dev] [all][code quality] Voting coverage job (-1 if coverage get worse after patch)

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Wed Apr 22 14:00:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Boris Pavlovic <boris at pavlovic.me> wrote:

> Code coverage is one of the very important metric of overall code quality
> especially in case of Python. It's quite important to ensure that code is
> covered fully with well written unit tests.
>
> One of the nice thing is coverage job.

I really like the idea of adding the coverage job everywhere so that
developers can view the results be using a link in Gerrit. I think this
would make it easier for many.

I don't like the idea of checking that coverage is increased. There are
many issues with that. The two biggest one for me are:

1. It will either lead to people doing things to game the system or overuse
of the #no-coverage-check  tag you mentioned.

2. It really doesn't tell you too much. A core developer should really be
looking at the tested use cases to see if they are all there. Line coverage
and even branch coverage won't tell you that.

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org