[openstack-dev] [nova] Required data migrations in Kilo, need Turbo Hipster tests updated

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at rackspace.com
Wed Apr 22 13:51:45 UTC 2015

On 4/22/15 1:20 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> The migrate_flavor_data command didn't actually work on the CLI (unless
>> I'm missing something or did something odd). See
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/175890/ where I fix the requirement of
>> max_number. This likely means that operators have not bothered to do or
>> test the migrate_flavor_data yet which could be a concern.
> Yep, I saw and +2d, thanks. I think it's pretty early in kilo testing
> and since you don't *have* to do this for kilo, it's not really been an
> issue yet.

Sure, but for people doing continuous deployment, they clearly haven't
ran the migrate_flavor_data (or if they have, they haven't filed any
bugs about it not working[0]).

I also found what I believe to be a bug with the flavor migration code.
I started working on a fix by my limited knowledge of nova's objects has
hindered me. Any thoughts on the legitimacy of the bug would be helpful
though: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1447132 . Basically for
some of the datasets that turbo-hipster uses there are no entries in the
new instance_extra table stopping any flavor migration from actually
running. Then in your change (174480) you check the metadata table
instead of the extras table causing the migration to fail even though
migrate_flavor_data thinks there is nothing to do.

I think it's worth noting that your change (174480) will require
operators (particularly continuous deployers) to run migrate_flavor_data
and given the difficulties I've found I'm not sure it's ready to be ran.
If we encounter bugs against real datasets with migrate_flavor_data then
deployers will be unable to upgrade until migrate_flavor_data is fixed.
This may make things awkward if a deployer updates their codebase and
can't run the migrations. Clearly they'll have to roll-back the changes.
This is the scenario turbo-hipster is meant to catch - migrations that
don't work on real datasets.

If migrate_flavor_data is broken a backport into Kilo will be needed so
that if Liberty requires all the flavor migrations to be finished they
can indeed be ran before upgrading to Liberty. This may give reason not
to block on having the flavors migrated until the M-release but I
realise that has other undersiable consequences (ie high code maintenance).

Cheers,
Josh

[0] I found another one even: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176172/