[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Apr 22 09:26:48 UTC 2015

Hey fellow developers,

I'd like to announce my candidacy for the Technical Committee election
that's happening.

TL;DR: Vote for me to bring back the fun and raise the bar! :)

As you might know, I've been a member of the OpenStack community for
several years now, and I actually already seated at the TC, back when
PTL had a seat. I've been leading Ceilometer for a while, and I'm still
active in this project, as I recently started and pushed Gnocchi¹ in
OpenStack. I contribute also to Oslo and other OpenStack projects for a
very long time now.

Let's jump to the hot topics.

The TC decided to open the gates for what goes into OpenStack, and
that's great, as trying to control that was totally failing.
Now there's a work ongoing about classifying projects under tags, and
I've absolutely no idea why the TC should be responsible for this
ultimately. This really looks like something that could be built and
decided by the entire community. I don't think I want to spend too much
time on this anyway.

I think OpenStack has way too much bureaucracy. The whole project is
glued in tons of processes that slows everything down for little value.
I see people writing code that is refused because there's no spec, specs
not reviewed because there's no code, and people frustrated because they
have to wait 3 months to have a brain-dead one-liner fix to get merged.
While I recognized there are some upside to this processes, this has
gone too far and I want OpenStack to become more agile (there, I said
it).

I've pushed the idea recently in Gnocchi that the bar should be raised
about documentation. We've set the same rule for documentation that we
had for unit and functional testing: a patch with no documentation or no
unit tests or no functional tests is refused. This allowed us to build a
complete and (almost) properly documented and fully tested project from
scratch in less than a year. That's an idea I'd like to push further in
other OpenStack projects.

I hope and I think I'm continually striving to make OpenStack better as
a whole and I want to push that further in all projects so that we can
go faster to push our vision out.

It seems to me that the TC had a very small power so far to influence
the community and projects, though I hope we'll anyway be able to reach
out to the projects in an efficient way to communicate our ideas!

Happy hacking!

¹  http://launchpad.net/gnocchi

--
Julien Danjou