[openstack-dev] [Nova] Add config option for real deletes insteadof soft-deletes

Luo Gangyi lgy181 at foxmail.com
Wed Apr 22 06:30:00 UTC 2015

Hi, Artom

I checked my cluster (20 compute nodes fully operated for 5 month, with 258 VMs and 112 users),
the datebase size of nova only 1.5MB.

So, is it necessary to do the cleanup?

------------------
Luo Gangyiluogangyi at chinamobile.com

From:  "Artom Lifshitz";<alifshit at redhat.com>;
Date:  Wed, Apr 22, 2015 05:42 AM
To:  "openstack-dev"<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>;

Subject:  [openstack-dev] [Nova] Add config option for real deletes insteadof soft-deletes

Hello,

I'd like to gauge acceptance of introducing a feature that would give operators
a config option to perform real database deletes instead of soft deletes.

There's definitely a need for *something* that cleans up the database. There
have been a few attempts at a DB purge engine [1][2][3][4][5], and archiving to
shadow tables has been merged [6] (though that currently has some issues [7]).

DB archiving notwithstanding, the general response to operators when they
mention the database becoming too big seems to be "DIY cleanup."

I would like to propose a different approach: add a config option that turns
soft-deletes into real deletes, and start telling operators "if you turn this
on, it's DIY backups."

Would something like that be acceptable and feasible? I'm ready to put in the
work to implement this, however searching the mailing list indicates that it
would be somewhere between non trivial and impossible [8]. Before I start, I
would like some confidence that it's closer to the former than the latter :)

Cheers!

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge-engine
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge2
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-db-archiving