[openstack-dev] TC Candidacy

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 00:29:55 UTC 2015

Hey Stackers,

I'd like to continue serving on the Technical Committee, and I'm asking
for your votes in the upcoming elections.

Here's my ask of you, dear voter:

#1.

Please do NOT vote for me just because you may recognize my name being
around the OpenStack community for a long time. Being a long-time member
of something does not make me any more able to offer creative solutions
to our problems than someone who's been in our community for a year or so.

#2.

Please do NOT vote for me just because I'm currently on the Technical
Committee and have served on the TC in the past. There is no
"carry-over" power that someone that has served on the TC in the past
brings with them to bear on future TCs. Ideas and a person's ability to
debate the issues fairly and concisely are what determines the
effectiveness of a TC member, not the length of time they have served on
the TC.

#3.

Please do NOT vote for me because you think I am (often unduly)
outspoken or critical about certain particular issues that you find
dear. Even if you hate XML as much as I do or would love to see API
extensions die in a fire, you shouldn't vote for me just because you
happen to agree with me on those particulars. The TC is not about
squabbling and religious wars. It's about BIG ideas and listening to the
viewpoints of others and seeing how the OpenStack contributor ecosystem
can be shaped by those ideas in meaningful ways.

#4.

Please DO vote for me because you think I will fairly consider the
viewpoints of the other TC members -- whomever they happen to be.

#5.

Please DO vote for me because you think I will be diligent in gathering
the feedback of our disparate and excellent contributor teams, and
critically, use that feedback to make our OpenStack community better for
us all.

#6.

Please DO vote for me if you believe I will be an advocate for
OpenStack's contributor community in the broader open source ecosystem,
and continue to further the ideals of our four Opens [1].

Thanks much,
-jay

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Open