[openstack-dev] [api] Minor changes to API

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 15:18:05 UTC 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 17:52, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On 04/20/2015 08:07 PM, Ian Wells wrote:
>
> Whatever your preference might be, I think it's best we lose the
> ambiguity.  And perhaps advertise that page a little more widely, actually
> - I hadn't come across it in my travels.  And perhaps improve its air of
> authority: rules on this subject should probably live somewhere in a repo
> so that it's clear there's consensus for changes.  Currently anyone can
> change it for any reason, and two years after the last substantive change
> it's hard to say who even knew it was being changed, let alone whether they
> agreed.
>
> This page has some kind of authority as it is linked to from
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Approved/APIStability. At that
> time the guidelines were a work in progress but clearly at this point it
> belongs in a more controlled repo. That said, this document has been
> referenced many times on the dev list and I am not sure that just moving it
> to a repo would increase awareness. It would also need to be more
> advertised.

Yeah - the repo was more an issue of authority, so that when it changes
it's clear that it's been changed and people checked the change.

The awareness thing is probably something that PTLs need to propagate -
reviewers need to know of it and what it says and check it when approving
API-affecting changes.
--
Ian.