[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 21 15:00:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-21 03:19:04 -0400 (-0400), Attila Fazekas wrote:
[...]
> IMHO the OVS is less complex than netfilter (iptables, *tables),
> if someone able to deal with reading the netfilter rules he should
> be able to deal with OVS as well.

In a simple DevStack setup, you really have that many
iptables/ebtables rules?

> OVS has debugging tools for internal operations, I guess you are
> looking for something else. I do not have any `good debugging`
> tool for net-filter either.
[...]

Complexity of connecting tcpdump to the bridge was the primary
concern here (convenient means of debugging network problems when
you're using OVS, less tools for debugging OVS itself though it can
come down to that at times as well). Also ebtables can easily be
configured to log every frame it blocks, forwards or rewrites
(presumably so can the OVS flow handler? but how?).
--
Jeremy Stanley