[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [TripleO] Aborting in(tro)spection process in discoverd

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 11:42:15 UTC 2015

Hi folks.

Recently I got several requests to implement API aborting introspection
in discoverd. This is useful mostly when debugging, when you know that
introspection has failed, and you want to stop it right now. I've put a
blueprint
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic-discoverd/+spec/abort-introspection
to track it.

Such API would cause discoverd to set error state for the node
immediately and issue a power off request for it. The technical side is
not a big deal.

What I'm worried about is whether we want to introduce such a feature at
all. Some Ironic processes (deploy, in-band cleaning) are async as well,
they also may hang, and IIUC we don't have means of aborting them. Does
debugging justify introducing new API?

This looks somewhat similar to our discussion about breaking locks in
Ironic: it might be useful, but it's an API which we'll support and
which can be easily misused.

But with introspection the only case where lack of this feature can't be
easily worked around is when people want to recreate a node. I've been
arguing for some time that recreating a node is not a good way to solve
problems. In other cases one can just power off the node via Ironic API
and restart the introspection again afterwards.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Dmitry