[openstack-dev] [all] Call for testing - pbr master

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Apr 20 20:02:34 UTC 2015

Hi, we think pbr's master branch is ready for consumption again, but
it would be nice to have some early adopters confirm this - the
sem-ver automatic version calculation that we discussed oh a year ago
now is all ready for use, but it's possible there are bugs lying in
wait.

I'd love it if, if you read this, you could roll a d10 die, and if it
comes up 1, start installing pbr master into your virtualenvs.

You can do this thusly:
.tox/py27/bin/pip install git+https://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/pbr

Then, all future installations of openstack packages will use the
version that was in git when you did the install. To upgrade a git
version, pip install -U <the git url again> - at least until pbr has
released. Once we've released a newer version to PyPI, pip install -U
pbr will pick that up and replace your git snapshot.

What you should expect:
 - pbr will create versions that are automatically higher than the
last tag, by incrementing the version's semver components (rather than
appending postN as 0.10 does).
 - pbr will error if setup.cfg requests a version that semver rules
prohibit (e.g. requesting 1.1.0 after 1.1.1 is already released)

If you encounter bugs, file them on https://launchpad.net/pbr - don't
worry about looking for existing dups, I'll treat each one as a
support request, and dup it if-and-only-if its truely a dupe.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist