[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Call for adoption (or exclusion?)

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 12:54:54 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I'd like my first action as Zaqar's PTL to be based on reflections and
transparency with regards to what our past has been, to what our
present is and to what our future could be as a project and community.
Therefore, I'm sending this call for adoption and support before
taking other actions (also mentioned below).

The summit is very close and the Zaqar team is looking forward to it.

The upcoming summit represents an important opportunity for Zaqar to
integrate with other projects. In the previous summits - since
Icehouse's - we've been collecting feedback from the community. We've
worked on addressing the many use-cases, we've worked on addressing
the concerns raised by the community and we've also kept moving
towards reaching the project's goals.

As you all know, the project has gone through many ups and downs.
We've had some "failures" in the past and we've also had successes, as
a project and as a team. Nevertheless, we've got to the point where it
doesn't make much sense to keep pushing new features to the project
until it gains adoption. Therefore, I'd like to take advantage of the
workshop slots and invite people from other projects to help us/guide
us through a hacking session on their projects so we can help with the
adoption. The current adoption of Zaqar consist in:

- 1 company reachingunning it in production
- 1 planning to do it soon
- RDO support

Unfortunately, the above is certainly not enough for a project to
succeed and it makes the time and effort spent on the project not
worth it. It's been more than 2 years since we kicked the project off
and it's time for it to show some results. The current problem seems
to be that many people want the project but no one wants to be the
first in adopting Zaqar (which kind of invalidates the premises of the
"Big tent").

In summary, this is a call for adoption before we call it a nice
adventure and ask for the project to be excluded from the OpenStack
organization based on the lack of adoption and contributions.

If you think it's worth it, speak up. Either way, thanks for the
support and for reading thus far.

On behalf of the Zaqar team,
Flavio

--