[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Has Neutron satisfied parity with Nova network FlatDHCP?

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:37:03 UTC 2015

But if I understand nova network with FlatDHCP correctly, there is no such
thing as a host without a floating IP. So if every instance is given a
floating IP in Neutron in a similar fashion, then the lack of SNAT
distribution would not matter in that case, correct?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>
wrote:

> DVR probably still does satisfy the same requirements as nova multi-host,
> because of the lack of SNAT masquerade distribution.
> Neutron DVR distributes the floating IP and east-west traffic, but the
> default gateway for each VM is still centralised, thus making the network
> node a SPOF.
>
> Then from a data plane perspective the other aspect is that for DVR we
> assume OVS while nova-network deployers would probably stick with Linux
> Bridge. However this is a bit off topic here.
>
> I am not aware of other differences, at least feature-wise. From a
> usability perspective the infrastructure for achieving functionality
> equivalent to FlatDHCP can be set up by an admin (or provided by neutron
> itself using some configuration switch), and the users could be completely
> oblivious to that - ie: they can boot a VM and connect a floating IP to it
> without ever using the "neutron" utility or calling the Neutron API.
>
> Salvatore
>

> On 17 April 2015 at 20:11, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If the Neutron topology is configured to use a router connected to an
>> external network and a shared network, will that achieve the same semantics
>> as Nova with a FlatDHCP network?
>>
>> One of the last remaining items that I was aware of was ARP poisoning
>> protection. At the end of Kilo, we added protection from that in OVS-based
>> deployments.[1]
>>
>> Are there any other remaining major differences that we can fix on the
>> Neutron side to make it a good replacement?
>>
>> 1.
>> https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/483de6313fab5913f9e68eb24afe65c36bd9b623
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Benton