[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Fri Apr 17 16:23:04 UTC 2015

In an app ecosystem, the users tend not to interact directly with the low level plumbing, but the app developers do. So likely, its the app developers, not the end users that care about naas in the long run. So I do agree that most users wont directly care about naas. But they will care about the software that is enabled by naas. A fine distinction, but important.

Really, what I expect to see long term in a healthy OpenStack ecosystem is some global AppStore like functionality baked in to horizon. A user goes to it, selects "my awesome scalable web hosting system", hits launch, and is given a link to login via webbrowser to edit their site. Under the hood, the system just stood up a trove database, an elasticsearch cluster in its own network, a web tier, a load balancer etc. The user didnt have to care how hard that use to be, and just gets charged for the resources consumed. Benifiting the cloud deployer and the end user. The easier it is to use/create/consume cloud resources the better it is for the deployer. If a bit steaper learning curve up front is nessisary, that sucks, but will be worth it.

This sort of thing is what we need to get to, and is extremely difficult if OpenStack clouds differ wildly in functionality.

Thanks,
Kevin