[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:17:03 UTC 2015

What do you disagree with? I was pointing out that using Linux bridge will
not reduce the complexity of the model of self-service networking, which is
what the quote was complaining about.

I just wanted to point out that one of the 'major disconnects' as I
understand it will not get any better by switching drivers.
On 2015-04-16 18:34:40 -0700 (-0700), Kevin Benton wrote:
[...]
> This is referring to the complexity of the API model for Neutron.
> While this is a problem that I hope to address by making things
> like shared networks more useful, it's not really relevant to this
> particular discussion because the model complexity does not
> decrease with the switch to Linux bridge.

I disagree. Complexity for the operator includes more than the API.
It also includes troubleshooting what just went wrong when your
network decided to do a headstand. As a datapoint, compare the ease
of connecting tcpdump to a bridge interface vs the ease of
connecting tcpdump to an OVS instance.
--
Jeremy Stanley