[openstack-dev] [magnum] Discovery Mechanism For Swarm Bay

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Thu Apr 16 21:29:30 UTC 2015

Andrew,

For clustered services that require generation of a discovery token, and access to a discovery service, we need to keep in mind a few things:

1) Cloud operators have their own preferences for what defaults should be use. Some may want to run their own discovery services, and others will not.

2) Users may not want to use a discovery service offered by his or her cloud provider. They may want to run their own.

3) We do not want the burden for running Magnum to be any higher than it has to be. We should not require cloud operators to also run discovery services in order to use Magnum if they are willing to rely on the public discovery services.

So I propose the following:

* The address for the discovery service should be set using a magnum configuration directive to be set in magnum.conf.
* The value of this configuration directive should default to the public discovery service.
* The Bay Create call should allow a parameter to allow the user to supply his/her own value to use for this setting.

This approach addresses all three concerns laid out above. The same approach should apply both to CoreOS and Swarm Bay so the user experience is consistent.

Regards,

Adrian