[openstack-dev] [puppet] rabbit/kombu settings deprecations

Mike Dorman mdorman at godaddy.com
Thu Apr 16 20:27:32 UTC 2015

I feel somewhat responsible for this whole thing, since I landed the first
review that kicked off all this.  We had gone to a kilo oslo-messaging for
RMQ improvements, which was what spurred me to patch in order to get rid
of the deprecation warnings.  I should have actually validated it against
Juno, known it would break, and called that out.  Sorry about that.  (On
the other hand, thanks to Gael for hitting up all the other modules that I
did not do.)

But, I have to say that I’m sympathetic with Matt on this.  We also more
or less track the master branches, and have the same challenge.

Emilien’s idea below for a bot creating the backport cherry pick is
intriguing.  Tbh, from a contributor’s perspective, the main reason I
would not create the cherry pick review is 1) lack of time, and, 2) I’m
tracking master so I (selfishly) don’t necessarily care about the stable
branch.  If we had a bot that would automate some of this process, that
would reduce the resistance somewhat.  But I have no idea what the
effort/feasibility is of setting up such a thing.  Is there a way in
Gerrit to make tags more visible when viewing a review?  Like checkboxes
or something, rather than just having to know the tag and typing it in?

For me, personally, I would be more open to tracking stable branches, too,
if the backports were better/faster.  Once I was on a stable branch, I
would be more motivated to do the cherry picks/backports as well.  So
maybe somewhat of a chicken-and-egg thing.

In any case, definitely a challenge that we should come to some decision
on.  Then at least there’ll be consistent behavior, one way or another,
going forward.

Mike