[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu Apr 16 16:25:33 UTC 2015

"if linux bridge was a viable nova-network multi-host HA replacement, you'd be OK with this change?"

I'd be much more in favor of it. yes. Though I think its a long way from being there...

planet openstack has a nice set of articles on how dvr works right now, and having read through, I think its going to be very difficult to implement that way with linuxbridge. It uses flow tables pretty heavily. LinuxBridge has nothing like that as far as I know.

Because of that, I would expect that as DVR matures, the LinuxBridge implementation will wither further on the vine. :/

Just my 2 cents. Ops will probably need to consider the "complexity" necessary, just like the linux kernel is "complex" but in the end, the complexity is well worth it.

To get a truly scalable NaaS, which I think is critical, you need advanced SDN and I'm not convinced LinuxBridge is advanced enough to work long term...

Thanks,
Kevin