[openstack-dev] [nova] Mysql db connection leaking?

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 16 21:20:06 UTC 2015

Wondering if there is something misconfigured in my devstack
environment, which was reinstalled on RHEL7 about 10 days ago.
I'm often running into mysql connections problem as shown below:

$ mysql
ERROR 1040 (HY000): Too many connections

When I try dump the mysql connection list, I'm getting the followng
result after a 'systemctl restart mariadb.service':

$ mysqladmin processlist | grep nova | wc -l
125

Most of the connections are at Sleep status:

$ mysqladmin processlist | grep nova | grep Sleep | wc -l
123

As for the workload, I'm currently only running two VMs in a multi-host
devstack environment.

So, my questions:

  - Why do we have so many mysql connections from nova?
  - Is it possible this is caused some misconfigurations?
  - 125 connections in such a toy setup is insane, any hints on nailing
    down the connections to the responsible nova components?

Thanks.

Regards,
  Qiming